William Penn Land Grant
Historic Penn Farm was originally included in the William Penn Land Grant of 1704. It was the document that granted “the three lower counties” to the new colony of Delaware. New Castle was the most prosperous and influential city in this new colony. The farm was one of eleven farms that were part of a thousand acres held “in common” for the citizens of New Castle to be used for logging and for grazing animals.
Since 1764, the farm has been under the care of the Trustees of the New Castle Common, the governing body that manages the common land of New Castle. The farm has been leased by a series of farming families, who worked the land, and made improvements to the property. These tenants have been the stewards of Historic Penn Farm.